Postgraduate Certificate in River Restoration and Management
To graduate, students must satisfactorily complete 32 points.
Study Mode Online Education, Distance Learning & External study modes available
What is this course about?
The Postgraduate Certificate in River Restoration and Management is aimed at professionals already involved in river management (e.g. state and local government, catchment management) and people with tertiary environmental science qualifications wishing to move into a career in river management.
The course aims to provide natural resource managers with a sound theoretical background and practical experience in river hydrology, ecology, restoration and water policy. The development of this course was initiated by Land and Water Australia after the identification of an urgent need for improved education and training programs for professionals involved in river management and restoration projects. The Course Advisory Committee established to oversee development of the course curriculum includes representatives from government, industry, community and academic staff.
Graduates possess skills in the prioritisation, design, implementation and evaluation of river restoration projects by undertaking subjects covering river hydrology, ecology, restoration and water policy.
Upon completion of the course, graduates will be able to:
- apply knowledge about physical, chemical and ecological processes in aquatic ecosystems to Australian rivers and their floodplains
- understand the basic principles of river hydrology and hydraulic processes
- sample and identify biota from communities in aquatic environments
- understand the conceptual and practical framework that underpins restoration of riverine environments following disturbance by humans
- explain the current status of water policy in Australia from the farm to the catchment scale.
All subjects have a compulsory residential school requirement.
GEO513 River Hydrology and Geomorphology
BIO401 River and Floodplain Ecology
BIO402 River Restoration and Protection
PSC420 Water Policy and Management
At a glance
Session 1; Session 2
1 year by distance education
© Copyright Charles Sturt University