Postgraduate Certificate in Intensive Care Paramedic Studies
To graduate, students must satisfactorily complete 32 points.
Study Mode Online Education, Distance Learning & External study modes available
What is this course about?
CSU's Postgraduate Certificate in Intensive Care Paramedic Studies equips graduates with the knowledge, skills and clinical judgement to successfully enter the role of an intensive care paramedic.
The Postgraduate Certificate in Intensive Care Paramedic Studies was developed in consultation with ambulance industry representatives from NSW and other states and territories to meet Australia's growing need for paramedics with formal postgraduate qualifications in intensive care.
This course has been structured to provide opportunities for ambulance officers and paramedics working in Australian ambulance services to undertake the education and training required to successfully practice as intensive care paramedics.
The course aims to:
- enable paramedics to acquire knowledge, skills, attitudes and values relevant to the provision of intensive care in the pre-hospital environment
- provide opportunities for the personal and professional development of paramedics working in the pre-hospital environment
- provide students with the professional foundation to appreciate the linkages between the emergency medical system and the delivery of pre-hospital care
- develop critical thinking necessary to provide evidence-based judgement in the field of pre-hospital emergency medical care.
Upon completion of the course, graduates will be able to:
- deliver the specific skills and competencies necessary in intensive care paramedic practice
- provide clinical leadership and practice
- expand the capacity for professional reflective practice in the field.
If you do not have recent study experience, it is strongly recommended that only a single award subject be taken in the first session of enrolment and that a number of STUDY LINK subjects (non award) be utilised to develop the important academic skills for success. Please consult with the Course Coordinator in the first instance if you have any concerns about your enrolment pattern. For more information phone info.csu on 1800 334 733 or make an online enquiry
The course will facilitate articulation with other postgraduate programs, such as the Master of Health Science and Master of Health Services Management.
This Postgraduate Certificate is a 32-point course comprising:
24 points of core subjects, as follows:
PHC401 Paediatrics for Pre-Hospital Care
PHC402 Pre-Hospital Advanced trauma and Cardiac Care (16 points)
plus 8 points of restricted elective subjects chosen from the following:
HLT401 Health Promotion
HLT402 Learning in Health Contexts
HLT403 Clinical Teaching Techniques
HLT404 Clinical Education Planning
HLT405 Issues in Clinical Education
HLT511 Clinical Judgement and Decision Making
HSM409 Epidemiology and Public Health
NRS523 Rural Health Practice
Part-time Distance Education study
Session 1 (S1)
PHC402 Pre-hospital Advanced Trauma and Cardiac Care (16)
Session 2 (S2)
PHC401 Paediatrics for Pre-hospital Care
[ ] Elective
This course is not part of any set of articulated courses at present. The Post Graduate Certificate has the potential to articulate with other postgraduate offerings that may be developed within the School of Biomedical Sciences or those that are offered within the Faculty of Science such as the generic Master of Health Science.
There is currently no professional body responsible for accrediting the postgraduate paramedic courses in Australia.
At a glance
Session 1; Session 2
1 year by distance education
© Copyright Charles Sturt University